Sunday, September 28, 2008


Fushimi Inari: about two stops away from JR Kyoto Station. This is an amazing Shinto Temple and also a great place for hiking enthusiast!


Fushimi Inari: behind the temple are thousands of Tori Gates that lead up to the summit of the mountain. Each shrine has been donated to the temple by ordinary citizens often as a thank you gesture to the Gods for their blessing.


Fushimi Inari: this is where they filmed cut scenes for Memoirs of a Geisha.


Fushimi Inari: the steep uphill climb up to the summit is indeed very challenging. Especially in 35 degree heat, 95% humidity and of course wearing... jeans. The summit is at pit stop 9. I made it to pit stop 4 and this was my reward... I couldn't go any further because I was strapped for time (and I was extremely tired).



Kyomizu-Dera: this is in my opinion the best and most amazing temple in Japan. Don't be fooled by the exterior. Many people don't realise (i.e. My brother and also Anita) but you need to go all the way in and pay 300 yen to be able to proceed to the best part of the temple. See next few photos...


Kyomizu-Dera: the incense smoke is thought to bring good luck, so you'll often see Japanese people patting it onto themselves.


Kyomizu-Dera: the view across the valley


Kyomizu-Dera - the water from the mountains behind the temple is thought to have special powers. There's three different types one for Mind, Body and Soul. It's extremely popular among school kids especially during exam time.


Kyomizu-Dera - Tada! The temple on stilts. No nails were used in it's construction and it's deemed to be earthquake proof. In the old days people believed that if you jumped off backwards and survived the fall, you will be granted one wish...



Kyomizu-Dera: School girls getting all dressed up in kimonos and taking photos. I was todl that if the ribbon behind their kimono is knotted it means that the girl is not married. If it's flat than it means they are married.


Gion: I was walking around the back streets of Gion and managed to catch to Geishas!!! I must say I'm extremely lucky since it's quite hard to see real Geishas in Kyoto unless you pay to see them. There's also a lot of fake ones wandering around as they hire the costumes to wear for the day to take photos. The photographer who spoke English told me they were taking photos to promote Kyoto's Autumn Festival.


Yasaka Jinja Shrine I came here just to catch the amazing lanterns.


Hanami Koji Dori Street: this is the main Geisha district in Gion. This is where you come to catch of the glimpse of the Geisha's getting of the limos before running in quickly into the tea houses. Very expensive to dine here of course. I'm also a big fan of traditional Japanese architecture here.

No comments: