Sunday, September 28, 2008

TOKYO


After almost 5 hours on the train I finally arrived at Shinagawa in Tokyo. This is the 11.00pm train to Shinjuku on the Yamanote line (now you know why I packed light!). Despite the local trains in Tokyo being really crowded I much prefer them to Cityrail in Sydney! Why? Because people there have polished social etiquette...


Shibuya: the Hachiko exit intersection outside the Q-Front building in Shibuya is the world's busiest crossing. It's like that round the clock 7 days a week!


Shibuya 109: Where the world's street fashion originates. Girls go there to shop and guys go there to gawk. Not me though I was tight on time.

VIDEO

Shibuya crossing: I love Shibuya ~ I have a tendency to go into sensory overload there.


Shinjuku: the best place to stay in Tokyo. It's close to all the major towns (Ikebukuro, Harajuku, Shibuya and Roppongi) and is itself a great shopping and entertainment hub.


Looking out towards West Shinjuku CBD from Kabuki-cho.


Shinjuku Kabuki-cho: the red light district in Tokyo. Here you'll find many hostess bars, pimps in suits, karaoke bars, and many great restaurants. It's actually a great place to check out but be mindful that there's a strong yakuza presence here (though nothing to be concerned about). Just ignore the guys handing you flyers (some can get quite persistent and aggressive).

VIDEO

Kabuki-cho in Shinjuku.


Miraikan ~ The National Museum of Emerging Science & Innovation. Japan is famous for it's technology so I had to visit this museum at Odaiba. That's Sylvia and Jerry the friendly Kiwi's I met at dinner one night...


These guys are freaky. If you speak into the microphone in the foreground of the picture, they actually respond to you.

VIDEO


ASIMO! the world's most famous robot. He responds so accurately to the instructor. Look at how fluid he is! I'm convinced there's a kid inside that outfit...


Fuji TV Building on Odaiba.


The cart is called a rickshaw. You only really see them at Asakusa and they're used to get around short distances. I seriously feel sorry for the guy pulling it!


Looking out towards Ueno from Ueno Park.

No comments: